This is a cake I had tried from the magazine Woman’s Era and it is superb. We just cannot have enough of it. Here the recipe was with plain flour i.e. Maida. However, since now I don’t have the time to bake as often, I have started using self-raising flour. Save the bother of keeping a track of the freshness of the baking powder.
The ingredients are:
1 ¾ cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 tblspn cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tblspn + ¼ cup ghee
¼ cup butter
¼ cup hot water
4 eggs separated
½ cup milk
1 ½ cup castor sugar
- Grease and flour 10” square pan or two 8” round pans.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt.
- Mix together cocoa powder, 2 tblspn ghee, hot water. Keep aside.
- Cream till light and fluffy ghee, butter and sugar.
- separate egg yolks in the mix
- Mix in coco paste and vanilla essence.
- Mix a little milk, blend, and add some flour blend, repeat till flour is over. End with flour.
- In this sticky dough fold gently stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Spoon the batter gently.
- Bake till done.