Diwali is the time I try to remember old recipes that my mother-in – law and mother used to make.
Generally, if I find the recipe scribbled it is cryptic. Something that is easy to follow, when I am writing it down but rarely when I am executing the recipe. Today since I was home I decided to make SHANKAR PALI not the sweet kind but the spicy one.
AsI did not want go through my notes I decided to follow the,”Mad Scientist “tradition and improvise as I went by.
1 cup maida, sieved
½ tsp pepper powder, freshly ground
¼ tsp ajwain (optional)
¼ tsp jeera
Salt to taste
1 ½ tblspn hot oil
Water to make stiff dough
Oil for frying
1. In the maida add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour pile and add hot oil. The flour should sizzle a bit when you add the oil.
3. Use a spoon and cover the oil. After about a minute rub the oil in the flour.
4. Use water and make stiff dough.
5. Divide the dough into 3 balls and roll out into a thick chapatti.
6. Using a sharp knife cut small diamonds.
7. Deep fry till light golden.
8. Store in an airtight container.