|The Biryani as decorated by kid number 2|
My SIL had come over for a short stay during the Christmas vacation and she showed me this biryani.
It is mild and most importantly includes a whole grain, a pulse. You can add or remove vegetable as you like.
The other day I made it again and I used carrots & paneer you can use French beans, peas, carrots, corn.
For this biryani you will need
1 cup masoor
2 cups rice
1 bay leaf
1 cup vegetables of you choice. (I used more than one cup it is generally 2 cups)
½ cup curds
Some strands of saffron
½ cup milk
2 tbsp oil (i needed about 3 tbsp)
1 Onion, coarsely chopped
1 bunch Coriander
A handful of pudina/mint leaves
1 inch Ginger
10-15 cloves garlic
2 inch piece Dalchini/cinnamon
½ tsp Sahajeera/cumin seeds
2 Green chillies (adjust as per taste)
3 onions chopped fine lengthwise
1. T o the onion cut lengthwise apply a salt and set aside. Soak the saffron in milk.
2. Wash and drain the masoor add 1 cup water and some salt.
|Masoor salted and ready for the cooker|
Transfer to the pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle. Let the pressure come down naturally. The masoor should be half cooked.
|The cooked masoor|
3. Wash the rice, add salt, bay leaf 2 cups water and cook the rice. The rice should not be fully cooked. Let it cool and then fluff it up with a fork.
4. In a kadhai heat oil and then fry the cashew nut remove, fry the raisins remove now add the onions and fry till the onions are brown in colour transfer on an absorbent paper.
5. While these are cooking grind all the ingredients listed under for grinding to a fine paste.
6. In the oil( I needed about a tablespoon more oil) that you have fried the onions add the ground paste and fry till the oil comes out. Add the curd and fry well.
|The masala frying|
7. Add the masoor stir fry till a little soft (takes about 5-10 minutes), add the vegetable. If you are using paneer it will be a good idea not to fry them. Cook till done.
|The fried masala|
To Assemble the Biryani:
8. Grease a thick bottomed pan (I used the cooker) with ghee.
9. Add a layer of the rice, top up with the fried masala, paneer, layer rice
10. Continue layering the top most layer has to be rice.
12. Close the lid and steam on low flame without the whistle till the steam rises from the vent in the cooker.
13. Let it stand for about 10 minutes before opening.
14. Serve with raita, dahi boondi. Here I have served with Vad morka and dahi boondi.