Just imagine your friend asks for something and since it is not readily available you decide to give it later and then you forget…!!
This is exactly what I have done but I hope my friend Mythreyi does forgive me!!
She had posted some drumstick recipes and wanted some more of curry recipes with them. Drumsticks/ Shevga che shenga /Nuggekai/ Shango as they are know in English/ Marathi/ Kannada/ Konkani are a rich source of calcium and potassium. Read about it here.
I was quite surprised that I had not posted this curry that I make often. In my mom’s place it is used only in sambhar, my mother-in-law used in kadhi, I have not made the kadhi yet but will try it out soon.
This recipe is what my friends’ mom used to make and since the kids loved it I copied it. You can as in the original recipe add prawns which taste yummy but I am clueless about cooking them. You are the expert if you are using prawns but I will guarantee the taste!
The Ingredients are simple:
5 drumsticks, chopped the size about 2 knuckles
½ a coconut, freshly grated
A small ball of tamarind
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
3 cloves garlic (optional)
1 small ball of jaggery
1 tsp oil
1. Place the drumsticks in a wide vessel use just enough water to cover all the drumsticks mix salt. Cover and par boil.
2. Meanwhile grind the coconut, the masala powder, tamarind, turmeric, chilli powder, garlic (if used) and jaggery to a very fine paste using little water. Many times I grind the masala only after I have boiled the drumsticks and I use the water from the drumsticks only.
3. Pour over the masala over the drumstick and bring to a boil. Adjust the seasonings.
4. In a small pan heat the oil, splutter mustard, then hing/asafoetida.
5. Pour over the drumstick curry. Cook till the drumsticks are done.
6. Serve with steaming hot rice.